08 July 2008

"Ed-ju-ma-ca-shun"

Wow. Grad school has already mystified me. Look, I would NEVER insult anyone's intelligence...well, until today.

Our class, as with most grad school classes, is mostly just a forum for debating, yelling, screaming, ranting, and the occasional threat of physical violence. But, please...someone tell me why I was subjected to what I saw today.

We are in school, getting MASTER's degrees people...not exactly community college. At a GREAT school too. I used to have faith in the edjucation system...and then "it" happened.

She walked in wearing her sorority t-shirt, flip-flops and rocking out to some god-awful shit on her iPod. She looked the part of typical "sorostitute". But this is grad school...she has to be half-way intelligent right? Oh you are so wrong.

Our professor was leading us in a rather spirited discussion about professional ethics, etc...and then it happened. She stopped the professor mid-sentence and said....and I quote...

"Ummmm...you've been saying this all class and I don't know what it means...but...what exactly is a CEO of a company?....I don't get it."

I choked on my coffee. The football player next to me muttered something under his breath. The professors eyes rolled into the back of his head. There was laughter. I think I heard a car-wreck outside and I am pretty sure I saw one of the four horsemen of the apocolypse.

Why, sweet Graduate school, have you betrayed me?

This is EXACTLY how I feel: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cmi283C1_qE


Out here,

The BAMF

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's the secret about grad school that no one tells you -- the program is frequently disappointing, but once they have the cost of your degree you might as well finish, not to mention the caliber of student that gets in. Masters programs are basically easy money for a school. The bigger the program the higher the revenue for the university.

Anonymous said...

I thought that when I first started my program because it started off with the entry level courses: the "how to write!" class and a statistics course. The people in my class made me want to jab my ears out with a pencil and I seriously reconsidered spending several grand to endure this. But I also started taking high level terrorism courses in which there was actually intelligent discussion, where I was actually challenged. Writing a 250 page research paper was no piece of cake.

DemuRe said...

Awesome... My response to her would be.. "A CEO is something you'll never accomplish, Sweetie."

ÄsK AliCë said...

Wow. That is astounding. How did she manage to get in?

Pretty Unfamous said...

Um. What? Are you serious? How did she even manage to get a bachelor degree???

Are you SURE the class is only open to grad students? At my college there are a lot of undergrads who can take grad-level classes....

Muse said...

NO WAY! Seriously? Granted, I have my nonthinking moments, but I try not to have them happen in large group settings.

And "sorostitute" is hilarious. I think I can envision the type perfectly.